The ashrama was started in 1927 and made a branch centre in 1929.
- A higher secondary school with 1335 boys.
- A primary school with 337 children.
- A library attached to the schools had 14,663 books and 38 newspapers and periodicals.
- A Gurukula (hostel) with 30 boys (Harijans: 2).
- A child welfare centre (crèche) with 16 Harijan children.
- A publication department including a press which brought out 8 new titles and 45 reprints in Malayalam; total number of titles: 292.
- Publication of Prabuddha Keralam, a Malayalam monthly (104th year; 6000 subscribers).
- Welfare work by way of feeding the poor, giving them financial help to buy medicines, giving pecuniary help, scholarships and other educational help to orphans and poor students.
- Religious activities: Daily worship and bhajans, regular religious classes in the ashrama and elsewhere, monthly and annual spiritual retreats for the devotees, celebration of popular festivals and the birth anniversaries of spiritual luminaries.
Activities at Punkunnam sub-centre :
- A library and a reading room with 7160 books and 14 periodicals and newspapers.
- Weekly religious classes and celebration of the birthday of Sri Ramakrishna.