The ashrama was started in 1927 and made a branch centre in 1929.
- A higher secondary school with 1362 boys.
- A primary school with 356 children.
- A library attached to the schools had 16,251 books.
- A Gurukula (hostel) with 21 boys (Harijans 6).
- A child welfare centre (crèche) with 20 Harijan children.
- A publication department including a press which brought out 16 new titles and 47 reprints in Malayalam.
- Publication of Prabuddha Keralam, a Malayalam monthly (102nd year with 8500 subscribers).
- Welfare work by way of feeding the poor, giving them financial help to buy medicines, giving pecuniary help, scholarships and other educational help to orphans and poor students.
- Religious activities: Daily worship and bhajans, regular religious classes for the public in and outside the ashrama, monthly and annual spiritual retreats for the devotees, celebration of popular festivals and the birth anniversaries of spiritual luminaries.
Activities at Punkunnam sub-centre :
- A library and a reading room with 7160 books and 14 periodicals and newspapers,
- Free Sanskrit coaching classes with 10 students, and
- Weekly religious classes.