This centre of Ramakrishna Math was started on a hillock at Nettayam, 9 km from the Thiruvananthapuram town, in 1916. The focus of activity was shifted later to the town centre at Sasthamangalam.
Activities of the town centre:
- A 200-bed hospital (with 78 free beds) with a psychiatric ward (39 beds) and paediatric, cardiology, surgical, ENT, dentistry, ophthalmology, dermatology and gynaecology departments. It treated 8365 inpatients and 1,45,139 outpatients in the year including the patients treated at the ayurvedic clinic with panchakarma facility and homeopathic clinic.
- The centre’s residential school of nursing for general nursing-cum-midwifery training had 94 trainees this year.
- Under the rural health service programme, mini health centres functioned in six villages of Thiruvananthapuram district, and a rural health centre functioned at Nettayam. Total 3878 patients were treated.
- Youth programmes, personality development classes and regular cultural classes in six villages, thrice a week.
- Pecuniary help was given to poor people for medical treatment, diet, and so on, and poor children were given school uniforms, textbooks, etc, during the year.
- Daily worship, religious discourses, and celebration of the birth anniversaries of spiritual luminaries.
Activities of Nettayam sub-centre:
- Daily worship and celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda, as also some other.
- Regular classes, discourses and retreats.