This centre of Ramakrishna Math was started on a hillock at Nettayam, 9 km from the Thiruvananthapuram town, in 1916. The focus of activity was shifted later to the town centre at Sasthamangalam.
Activities of the town centre:
- A 200-bed hospital (70 free beds) with a psychiatric ward (39 beds) and paediatric, cardiology, surgical, ENT, dentistry, ophthalmology, dermatology and gynaecology departments and a multi-operating theatre complex. It treated 10,759 inpatients and 2,31,288 outpatients in the year, including the patients treated at the ayurvedic clinic with panchakarma facility and homeopathic clinic.
- The centre’s residential school of nursing offering GNM course had 96 trainees this year.
- Under the rural health service programme, mini health centres functioned in six villages of Thiruvananthapuram district, and a rural health centre functioned at Nettayam.
- A polyclinic at Kawdiar, 3 km away from the centre.
- Two units of Gadadhar Abhyudaya Prakalpa with 100 poor children.
- Youth programmes, personality development classes and regular cultural classes in six villages, thrice a week.
- Pecuniary help was given to poor people for medical treatment, diet, and so on, and poor children were given tiffin etc, during the year.
- Regular classes, discourses in and outside the ashrama.
Activities of Nettayam sub-centre:
Daily worship, monthly retreats and celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda, as also some other festivals