Ramakrishna Sevashram was started in Contai city in 1913. After changing its location a few times, the Sevashram came to its present site in 1923. The Sevashram was taken over in 1928 by the authorities of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission, and the two branches under the above-mentioned names were started.
Activities of the Math centre:
- Daily worship and fortnightly Ramnam Sankirtan.
- Regular classes and public lectures on and off the ashrama premises.
- Celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda, and also Durga Puja and Kali Puja.
Activities of the Mission centre:
- A allopathic-cum-homeopathic dispensary.
- A students’ home.
- A unit of Gadadhar Abhyudaya Prakalpa.
- A library and a reading room.
- Welfare work by way of providing books and stipends to students, and financial help, food grains, blankets, clothing, etc to needy persons.
- A rural development project consisting of 8 charitable mobile homeopathic dispensaries, 5 non-formal education centres, 1 coaching centre, and a vocational training centre imparting training in carpentry, tailoring and maintenance of electrical appliances.