‘Sri Ramakrishna Brahmananda Ashrama’ was started in 1958 at the birthplace of Swami Brahmananda in Sikra-Kulingram, West Bengal. He was a monastic disciple of Sri Ramakrishna and the first President of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission. In 2002, the Ashrama was taken over by the Math and renamed ‘Ramakrishna Math’.
Activities of the Math centre:
- Daily worship, fortnightly Ramnam Sankirtan and regular religious classes in the Math and elsewhere.
- Celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda, Swami Brahmananda and Sri Krishna, and other religious festivals.
The Mission centre was started in 1992.
Activities of the Mission centre:
- An allopathic-cum-homeopathic dispensary with a mobile medical unit.
- Four non-formal primary schools in villages.
- Nineteen coaching centres, two at the centre and the rest at Sundarban area. Training in bratachari and yoga also given to the students.
- Five units of Gadadhar Abhyudaya Prakalpa.
- Values education classes in Basirhat Sub-Reformatory.
- A library and a textbook bank for students.
- Welfare work by way of providing medical help and pecuniary help to the needy, distributing blankets, clothes, milk to the needy and educational aids and stipends to the poor students.