The centre was started in 1931.
Activities at Cherrapunjee:
- A higher secondary school.
- A computer training centre.
- A small vocational school for teaching weaving, tailoring and knitting.
- A hostel for tribal boys.
- A dispensary and two mobile medical units.
- Medical camps in rural areas
- Two libraries and reading rooms with 21,765 books and 22 periodicals and newspapers.
- Two museums depicting tribal culture.
- A bakery, a dairy and a printing press.
- Welfare work by way of distributing milk, blankets, clothes, etc to the poor in remote villages.
- Celebration of the birthdays of religious personalities.
Shella sub-centre : This sub-centre was started in 1924.
Activities at Shella sub-centre:
- A lower and an upper primary school and a secondary school.
- A library.
- Celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, and Swami Vivekananda, as also Durga Puja and Kali Puja.
Sohbar sub-centre: This sub-centre, about 18 km down Sohra, was started in 1928.
Activities at Sohbar sub-centre:
- A lower and an upper primary school, and a secondary school.
- A vocational training centre (tailoring).
- A hostel for tribal girls.
The Sohra centre also runs primary and secondary schools at other places. In all, it runs 1 higher secondary school, 16 secondary schools, 9 upper primary schools and 14 lower primary schools.