The centre was started in 1931.
Activities at Cherrapunjee:
- A higher secondary school with 508 boys and 353 girls.
- A computer training centre with 201 students.
- A small vocational school for teaching weaving, tailoring and knitting.
- A hostel with 112 tribal boys.
- A mobile audio-visual unit which screened 69 educative films in 38 remote villages with 8531 viewers.
- Three units of Gadadhar Abhyudaya Prakalpa for about 150 needy children.
- Two libraries with attached reading rooms had 21,765 books and 22 periodicals and newspapers.
- A charitable dispensary (23,889 patients treated) and two mobile medical units (10,172 patients treated).
- Special medical and eye camps (439 patients treated).
- Two museums depicting tribal culture.
- A bakery, a dairy and a printing press.
- Welfare work by way of distributing milk, blankets, clothes, etc to the poor in various remote villages.
- Celebration of the birthdays of religious personalities.
Sohbar sub-centre (Sohbarpunjee, PIN 793 108): This sub-centre, about 18 km down Cherrapunjee, was started in 1928.
Activities at Sohbar sub-centre:
- A lower and an upper primary school, and a secondary school.
- A vocational training centre (Tailoring).
- One hostels for 50 tribal girls.
Shella sub-centre (Disong Shella Village, P.O. Shella Bazar, PIN 793112): This sub-centre was started in 1924.
Activities at Shella sub-centre:
- A lower and an upper primary school and a secondary school.
- A small library.
- Celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, and Swami Vivekananda, as also Durga Puja, Kali Puja, etc.
The centre also runs primary and secondary schools at other places. In all, it runs 1 higher secondary school, 14 secondary schools, 9 upper primary schools and 16 lower primary schools. 7169 students studied in these schools during the year.