Started in 1897 by Swami Akhandananda (a monastic disciple of Sri Ramakrishna), this is the oldest centre of the Ramakrishna Mission.
- A higher secondary school with 1302 boys.
- Three units of junior basic school with 510 boys and 48 girls.
- A residential junior basic teachers’ training institute with 97 boys.
- Two hostels with 78 students.
- Ten free coaching centres with 616 students.
- A vocational training centre with 673 trainees.
- Six libraries with reading rooms: 15,015 books and 19 periodicals and newspapers.
- A charitable dispensary with allopathic, homeopathic and ayurvedic sections, which treated 44,169 cases this year.
- A mobile medical unit, which treated 8,339 cases.
- Two units of Gadadhar Abhyudaya Prakalpa with 100 backward children.
- Welfare work by way of distribution of clothes, serving milk to poor children, providing scholarships to the poor students and pecuniary help to the needy.
- Religious activities: Daily worship and observance of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda and other spiritual luminaries.
Activities at Berhampore sub-centre :
- A students’ home with 8 college students,
- A library with 1626 books.
- Daily prayers and weekly religious classes.
Activities at Bairgachhi sub-centre (Sevavrata):
- Manufacturing and distribution of water filters in rural areas. 602 filters distributed this year.
- A water testing 2823 samples tested this year.
- Construction of 904 household toilets in villages.
- A silk-production training centre. 45 people were trained this year.