Started in 1897 by Swami Akhandananda, a monastic disciple of Sri Ramakrishna, this is the oldest centre of the Ramakrishna Mission.
- A higher secondary school for boys.
- Three units of junior basic school.
- A residential junior basic teachers’ training institute.
- An orphanage.
- Three hostels.
- Ten coaching centres.
- A vocational training centre.
- Seven libraries with reading rooms: 18,220 books and 22 periodicals and newspapers.
- A dispensary with allopathic, homeopathic and ayurvedic sections.
- A mobile medical unit.
- Welfare work by way of distribution of clothes, serving milk to poor children, providing scholarships to the poor students and pecuniary help to the needy.
- Religious activities: Daily worship and observance of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda and other spiritual luminaries.
- Dhanyaganga Krishi Vigyan Kendra: This KVK is aimed to develop the socio-economic condition of the farming community by transfer of technology to the ground level farmers. It has several training programmes related to seed production, planting material production, livestock farming, fish farming, soil, plant and water testing, organic farming and vermicomposting.
Sub-centre at Berhampore:
The Sargachhi Ashrama has a sub-center at Berhampore (10 kms from Sargachi Ashrama). Sanctified by regular visits of Swami Akhandananda, a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna.
Activities at Berhampore sub-centre :
- A students’ home for college students.
- A library.
- Daily prayers and weekly religious classes.
Sub-centre at Bairgachhi:
Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama (Sevavrata), a sub-centre at Bairgachhi is (2.5 kms from Sargachhi) caters to agricultural production activities.
Activities at Bairgachhi sub-centre:
- Manufacturing and distribution of water filters in rural areas.
- A water testing laboratory.
- Training programmes on sheep farming, fishery, carpet weaving.
- Production unit of pure silk items, cotton items, woollen items, carpet items.