Though the Mission started functioning in the island in 1924 by way of managing a few schools, the centre in Colombo was formally established in 1930. Swami Sarvarupananda is the swami-in-charge of the centre.
- A free library and a reading room (with 8000 books and 23 newspapers and periodicals), a book showroom.
- A Sunday school for children (381 on the roll) and music classes.
- An International Cultural Centre with guestrooms, library, etc.
- Relief and welfare work such as providing food and educational, medical and pecuniary help to the needy (1,07,39,000 Sri Lankan Rupees spent).
- Monthly medical camps (845 patients treated) and weekly ayurvedic camps (3145 patients treated).
- Lectures and cultural programmes in the ashrama’s Swami Vivekananda Centenary Memorial Hall (one of the biggest auditoriums in Colombo) as well as in other parts of the island.
- Free distribution of Ramakrishna-Vivekananda literature to schools and libraries.
- Daily worship, weekly classes, fortnightly retreats, occasional festivals, and celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda and other prophets.
Activities of the sub-centre at Batticaloa:
- Three orphanages with 109 children.
- Two nursery schools with 166 children.
- Two Sunday schools with 365 children.
- A computer training centre with 75 students.
- A free coaching centre with 112 students.
- A healthcare centre, which treated 4998 patients.
- Monthly medical camps treated 7795 patients.
- Free distribution of books to libraries and schools, agricultural activities, religious video shows at schools and a book shop.
- Daily worship, weekly congregational prayers and celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda.
- Occasional classes at Manthivu Lepers’ Asylum and Thalankundah, where the centre maintains temples with regular puja and bhajans.
- Welfare work by providing educational aids and pecuniary and medical help to poor students (Sri Lankan Rupees 78,13,000 spent this year).