The centre was started in 1997 at the Bhojeshwar Bungalow premises, which was sanctified by Swami Vivekananda’s stay for four months in 1891-92.
- A charitable dispensary with allopathic, ayurvedic, homeopathic and physiotherapy sections: 11,862 cases were treated during the year.
- Twelve eye-camps were conducted in which 1058 persons were treated.
- A library and a free reading room with 18,153 books and 55 periodicals and newspapers.
- Four free coaching centres and computer classes for 193 poor students.
- A cultural unit, named Vivekananda Institute of Value Education and Culture (VIVEC), which conducted seminars, classes on values education, etc (4620 students participated).
- Vocational training in tailoring for 28 girls.
- A permanent exhibition on Swami Vivekananda.
- Annual competitions, seminars and various cultural programmes.
- Welfare work by way of distribution of sewing machines, clothing and providing pecuniary help to the needy.
- Religious activities: Regular prayers, religious discourses, retreats, and celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda, as also Christmas Eve.