Since its inception in 1942, the centre served as a sub-centre of Ramakrishna Centre of South Africa, Durban. It came into the fold of Ramakrishna Mission in 2007 when the Mission granted affiliation to Ramakrishna Centre of South Africa and to all its units. In 2018, the Ramakrishna Centre of South Africa – Phoenix was separated from its parent centre in Durban and was given the status of a full-fledged branch of Ramakrishna Mission. Swami Saradaprabhananda is its President.
- Ramakrishna Clinic of South Africa: (i) Provided specialist medical and surgical services to poor patients at its facilities in Phoenix as well as in State Hospitals and medical camps. Consultations, diagnoses and free medication were provided for a total of 26,608 patients. (ii) Monthly consultations were conducted in Verulam for children afflicted with cerebral palsy. (iii) Conducted 21 Continuing Medical Education (CME) lectures and 4 seminars for hospice staff, healthcare professionals and caregivers.
- Nutrition programme: (i) 2000 needy people were provided with cooked food on a weekly basis. (ii) 210 families were provided with monthly groceries, etc. (iii) Regular supply of groceries and vegetables was provided to five rehabilitation centres in Kwa Mashu, Inanda, Verulam and Umlazi.
- Ramakrishna Legal Aid Clinic: (i) Provided legal services to 70 indigent people. (ii) A series of seminars was conducted as part of legal education programme.
- Veterinary Services: Medicine and food were provided to 120 animals in Phoenix, Inanda and in informal settlements.
- Agricultural Projects: Seeds, saplings, fertilisers, agricultural accessories and rainwater-harvesting tanks were donated to poor families and welfare organisations.
- Children’s and youths’ programmes: A values education programme for children, two outreach courses at schools, karate training, and counselling and skill development training for youths from indigent families (100 beneficiaries).
- (i) A book showroom and distribution of Ramakrishna- Vivekananda literature among 1500 homes in Phoenix and surrounding areas. (ii) Published values-based literature for children as well as booklets and calendars.
- Weekly prayer meetings, yearly retreats, regular scriptural classes and lectures in the centre and elsewhere.
- Celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda and other spiritual luminaries, and several religious festivals such as Durga Puja.
Activities of the sub-centre at Johannesburg: (i) Monthly distribution of groceries, vegetables, blankets and other household items to nearly 200 indigent people. (ii) Weekly prayer meetings and religious classes. (iii) Celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda and other prophets.