The centre was started in 1939 and is located near the University of California, Berkely. It is a branch of Ramakrishna Math, and Swami Prasannatmananda is its minister-in-charge.
- A library with 2800 books and a book showroom.
- Regular worship, meditation, celebration of special religious events, and spiritual counselling to seekers.
- Lectures on Sundays, evening classes, and discussion on Vedanta and other scriptures on other weekdays. Also online classes for university students.
- Invited by different organizations and colleges, the swami delivered several lectures in the neighbourhood and other cities of the United States and also participated in several interfaith meetings.
- Celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda and other religious teachers, as well as festivals such as Durga Puja, Shivaratri Puja and Christmas Eve.
- Evening services and talks were held every Sunday in the Society’s house at San Jose. Ramnam Sankirtan and annual musical programme were conducted and festivals such as Durga Puja were celebrated.
- A yearly retreat at Olema in Marin County on 4th July honouring Swami Vivekananda.