The centre was started in 1939 and is located near the University of California, Berkely. It is a branch of Ramakrishna Math, and Swami Prasannatmananda is its minister-in-charge.
- A library with 2974 books.
- Regular worship, meditation, celebration of special religious events, and spiritual counselling to seekers.
- Lectures on Sundays, evening classes, and discussion on Vedanta and other scriptures on other weekdays.
- Invited by different organizations and colleges, the swami delivered several lectures in the neighbourhood and other cities of the United States and also participated in several interfaith meetings.
- Evening services and talks in the Society’s house at San Jose were held every Sunday. Other celebrations like Durga Puja, Christmas day etc were also celebrated.
- A yearly retreat on 4th July honouring Swami Vivekananda at Olema retreat.
- The centre made its facilities available for use to several meditation groups sponsored by the University of California at Berkeley.