The Society was established by Swami Vivekananda in 1900. Swami Tattwamayananda is the minister-in-charge of this branch of Ramakrishna Math.
1. At the New Temple:
- Daily worship and lectures on Sundays and Wednesdays.
- Sunday school for children and retreats for devotees.
- Interviews with students and spiritual aspirants.
- Saturday evening classes consisting of meditation, singing, reading and discussions.
- Celebration of the birthdays of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda, Sri Krishna, Buddha and Christ, and also festivals like Durga Puja and Kali Puja.
- A library, a reading room, and a book showroom.
2. At the Old Temple, built by Swami Trigunatitananda (a monastic disciple of Sri Ramakrishna) at 2963 Webster Street, San Francisco, California 94123, scriptural classes were held every Friday evening.
3. A convent.
The Society maintains the following three retreats :
- Shanti Ashrama: A retreat in San Antonio Valley, gifted to Swami Vivekananda in 1900. Annual retreat programmes were held this
- Lake Tahoe Retreat: A 200-acre retreat at Lake Tahoe, California, where annual retreat programmes are held.
- Olema Retreat: A 2000-acre forest retreat at Olema, Marin County where weekly discussion and annual retreat programmes are held.